Lack of gas maintenance could spell tragedy, council warns
Written by Scott Campbell.
 
 
Published at 21:13 GMT on Tuesday 26th February, 2013.
BUSINESSES are being warned not to try to save money by skipping vital gas maintenance checks.
 
North Lanarkshire Council’s Business Regulation team are advising businesses across the county that maintaining gas and electrical appliances properly can save lives.
 
Officers averted a potential disaster recently in a local takeaway shop by serving a Prohibition Order on a boiler that was leaking both gas and carbon monoxide.
 
 
 
"Incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained gas appliances are a major cause of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and can cause leaks and explosions," explains Councillor Helen McKenna, Convener of the Environmental Services Committee at North Lanarkshire Council.
 
"If anyone thinks not maintaining gas appliances can save them money, they should think again. For the sake of a few pounds, they risk endangering the life of their employees and the public.
"Keeping the public safe is our Business Regulation team's top priority. Our officers actively check commercial premises which, by law, must have an annual gas safety check carried out by a competent Gas Safe Registered engineer."
 
Tragically, on average ten people a year die from CO poisoning and 180 are hospitalised due to CO exposure directly related to gas. In addition, some 30 people a year are killed or injured in gas explosions. (Source: HSE Gas Safety Statistics)
Search for more news

    
More Cumbernauld news

Unable to find the associated list page.