Fire tears through Cumbernauld pub

Written by Scott Campbell, Cumbernauld Media's Senior Reporter.

Published at 17:14 on 11 May 2015

Police    Crime    Scottish Fire and Rescue Service

An investigation is under-way to establish the cause of the fire. Picture: courtesy of Bill Henry.

A NEWLY opened pub and restaurant in Cumbernauld has been gutted out after a reports of a well-developed fire were called in to emergency services earlier this morning (11th May).

The Kingfisher Bar in Seafar was the scene of a ferocious fire in the early hours of this morning – a fire which appears to have claimed the business’s function room
(see right - courtesy of Bill Henry)

After changing hands in 2012, the old Dowanfield Road Kingfisher bar reopened as the Kingfisher Bar and Restaurant and Café Asia, in 2013. 

CDLH, acting on behalf of the Spirit Pub Company (the previous owners of the Kingfisher) which had around 1200 pubs across the UK, confirmed in June 2013 that they had sold the Kingfisher public house to a private buyer.

Alan Creevy, director of surveyor CDLH, said at the time: “As the Kingfisher became non-core to Spirit’s operation, we placed it on the market in the latter part of 2012 at offers over £225,000.

“The property is on a large site of just over one acre and our marketing covered not only the licensed market but also the development market.

“After a good level of interest, we entered into final stages of negotiations earlier this year and completed a sale in May.”

CDLH said the property has been sold to a private bar/restaurant operator, though Cumbernauld Media understands that the site’s owners also own various local convenience shops throughout the town.

Fire crews were called to the fire at 1am. Picture: courtesy of Bill Henry.

At around 1.10am on Monday morning an emergency call was made to the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service which alerted fire crews to the blaze.

Around 30 firefighters were called out to tackle the fire which was described as being a "well-established blaze with flames coming from the roof of the building", by one Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson.

Extra resources, including a high reach appliance, were sent to the pub and crews in breathing apparatus entered the building to fight the flames from inside, with the fire under control by 2am.

Police and fire officers are investigating the cause of the blaze, with a mobile incident research and investigation vehicle at the scene, earlier this afternoon. 

A mobile 'Incident Research and Investigation' vehicle was at the scene this afternoon. Picture: courtesy of Bill Henry.