88-year-old woman dead and 63-year-old injured after house fire

Written by Scott Campbell, Cumbernauld Media's Senior Reporter.

Published at 15:34 on 5 June 2015


Picture: Scott Campbell for Cumbernauld Media.

FURTHER information has been released by emergency services this afternoon after a house fire in Cumbernauld claimed the life of one local pensioner.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service confirmed earlier today (5th June) that an elderly woman had lost her life as a result of a fire which ripped through her family home, this morning.

Two appliances from Cumbernauld Community Fire Station and a third from Easterhouse were sent to Craigelvan Gardens, in Condorrat, earlier today, with around 25 firefighters tackling the flames at one point.

The fire crews were called out following a 999 emergency call, which the Fire Service said had been received at around 11:20am today (5th June).

“Firefighters arrived approximately five minutes later to find a well-developed fire within a single-storey property and a fourth appliance was sent from Kilsyth to increase the number of personnel available at the scene,” a spokesman for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service explained.

The Service’s spokesman added: “Teams in breathing apparatus are continuing to operate inside the property, which has sustained a partial collapse.

“Work to bring the fire under control and complete a systematic search is still ongoing. The incident is likely to continue for some time and no further information is currently available.”

This afternoon, more information has been issued regarding the fire.

Police Scotland has confirmed that an 88-year-old woman lost her life as a result of the blaze, while a 63-year-old man has been injured also.

Police have confirmed that the 63-year-old man was treated at the scene by paramedics, with an investigation now under-way to establish the cause of the fire.

A spokesman for Police Scotland said: "Police can confirm that an 88-year-old woman has died in a fire at Craigelvan Gardens in Cumbernauld and a 63-year-old man was also treated at the scene by paramedics.

"An investigation is under way to establish the exact cause of the fire."